Novella: The Nightmare 3

While not much of the information actually made it into the story, I spent several months researching the Titanic, its construction, the voyage, and the disaster. A lot of it was the era in which is was built, but it really was quite remarkable how many references I found in the whole undertaking to the devil. I know how superstitious sailors and those that rely upon the ocean for a living can be, and a lot of that played into the rumors surrounding the Titanic.

Ironically enough, I've recently run across one demonic rumor in my research into the London Underground that involves the Titanic I never saw while I was doing my original research for this novella. It has to do with a cursed mummy (though I have yet to read about one that isn't) that was supposedly bought by an American and shipped in the Titanic's hold. The mummy is the reason the ship sank. The mummy is also said to haunt / roam the disused British Museum station. The mummy and sarcophagus are both on display in the British Museum itself. I'm not certain if I've seen them or not, but it quite definitely was not on the Titanic that night.

My favorite quote from my research has to come from the Inquest. Those in charge were questioning how often the ship's clocks were set to keep the proper time. The answer was every night at midnight. When asked if they set them at midnight on that night, the reply was that they had other matters on their minds.

Arson and some alcohols was another topic of research, though this one was more refreshing my mind to the information. I have two series that touch on arson investigation as the main topic, so I have to be able to speak in-depth on the matters. In this novella it's a passing subject as Sam tries to work out what happened before Jeffrey set foot on the Titanic.

Arson investigation is a fascinating, if frustrating, subject, but I will complain about the how much math and science I had to teach myself. I truly hate math and am more ambivalent about science. While this doesn't stop me from understanding arson investigation, it certainly made it harder in the beginning, and I have any number of textbooks on the subject. Maybe when I write about those topics, I'll share a photo of the section of my research shelf relating to it.

But back to the Titanic for a moment or two. A good google search will take you to any number of sites should you wish to know more. I'm not certain how many books I have left on this particular subject. Moving across the country caused me to thin my research shelves, and this was a closed topic. There are also some very interesting conspirator theories on the Titanic should you be interested in such things - my favorite is the switching of the Olympic and Titanic for insurance fraud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Tails from the Oddside 2: Point of View

Tales from the Oddside 5: Knife to the Heart