Tales from the Oddside 1: Hidden Doors

For this novella each entry is one short story, and they aren't too in-depth because it's hard to talk a lot about short stories without giving away the whole story. Each entry will begin with my author notes about the story and then have my discussion for the blog.

*I'm an anime fan. one of those that I was fond of, and am sorely out of touch with, is Naruto. I was watching and episode when Sauske went missing from his hospital room. The nurse ran right to the wardrobe and looked inside. While I know she was checking for his clothes, at the time it struck me that she thought he was hiding in the wardrobe.

That bore a fan fiction piece that I was never happy with, so I pulled the bare bones of my idea, left the TV characters behind, and created this story. While I know the events are highly improbable, you never know what's going to happen when dispatch call you.*

This piece is so tongue in cheek I'm honestly surprised there is any dialogue. Growing up, and to this day honestly, I love corny humor and bad jokes. Think Muppet Show (classic, not modern), Get Smart, Monty Python, Red Dwarf, Hee-Haw, and Mel Brooks. So the characters in here are caricatures on purpose, and there are plenty of bad jokes.

I do pose this question to you, however; do you have any idea how difficult it is to come up with enough types of clothes and lines to keep burying people with? I also had to play on a comment I recall Terry Pratchett making about old boots in a wardrobe.

The bird jokes were the easiest part of the whole story. My favorite exchange has to be commenting on whether they were walking up or down the hallway. I don't recall any deep symbolism behind it, but it's one of those things that really make you think - or make you think if your mind has that particular twist to it. Then again, I once asked my late father if you could be arrested for poaching  eggs. The told me only if the Game Warden was chicken. He was a great lover of puns as well, and I think Mum spent more time rolling her eyes at the two of us - and my brother - than she did anything else.

The problem with short stories is there is only so much you can talk about without giving away the whole plot, and I really want to keep these as spoiler-free as possible, at least for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Tails from the Oddside 2: Point of View

Tales from the Oddside 5: Knife to the Heart