Novella: The Nightmare 2

Writing in the first person has limited advantages when it comes to telling a story. To be honest, I'm not even sure what Sam's last name is. This particular voice is limited, but it's a good way for the author to keep secrets. And there is a big secret in this novella but, as River Song would say, "spoilers".

For me, at least, I prefer third person for writing almost any story I work on, with an exception we'll get to in good time. As I feel more like I was told this particular story, I had to tell it in the format it was given to me in. As I mentioned, it was planned to have two books in this one - the story from each of Sam and Jeffrey's POV - and Sam was happy enough to share his story with me, but Jeffrey never was. I suspect a large part of that has to do with some of the spoiler information, but I'm not positive.

However, I did go through what I did write of the story from Jeffrey's POV and pulled out a few unknown tidbits that have either never been published or were only shared on my Facebook page. Given how rarely I update that page with anything over than publication information, I'm not certain how many people actually saw a few of the bits and bobs.

*The diary set Sam located online was a forgery. It was written by a tutor in the house, but the reason for that forgery is never given.

* Jeffrey was born on the night of the new moon on Halloween at midnight.

*Sam's mother's name is Sandra. She is very religious and wants to kill her son.

*Sam's grandfather's name is Leonard. He is actually Sam's father.

*Sam's boss is named Bill. He was honorably discharged from the Navy. He is married, in his late 40s, with two children and one grandchild.

*The music that seemed to be liked best by both characters was from a Japanese artist named Furukawa Yuuta. So I spent a lot of time listening to my playlist of his songs as well as his concert DVD. I found a subbed video for one of my favorite songs on YouTube for anyone curious what he sounds like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCwXzdRpvpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Tails from the Oddside 2: Point of View

Tales from the Oddside 5: Knife to the Heart