The Consequences Series

I started playing around with the idea of dragon-shifters (weredragons if you will) back in the early 2000s. I first wrote the idea out as a fan fiction piece that ended up fairly epic in terms of size and number of included fandoms, but my scientist brother pointed out that DNA alteration was not logical. Even in the eye of humans that can change into dragons. So I left that idea to the fanfiction realm and turned my attention to a different method of making this shifter idea work.

Merlin the mage has long been one of my favorite wizards in literature - I have a tendency to absolutely adore insane wizards (like Zifnab in Weiss and Hickman's Deathgate Cycles) - and Merlin fits into this category rather well. You will see him turn up in a number of my works, including an as-yet unpublished novel, and that is true in this series as well.

Afterall, if it is not logical for DNA alteration to aid in a shift from human to dragon and back again, why not use elemental magic to make it happen. Other changes I made increased the size of the dragons to 50 or more feet in length, it is possible for them to have more than one talent after they shift for the first time, and that first shift happens when the male comes of age rather than when their soulmate is in mortal danger. The fanfiction has a lot more romance in it than this series does.

I'll break down each book and talk about the characters in as much detail as I can, but this is the series I want to create the illustrated guide for, so I won't be putting all the information on here. I have to keep some secrets to myself after all.

At any rate, there are ten dragons in this series, all but one of them bonded. That's probably the biggest change between the two universes - there are female dragons in the novels, but they are unable to shift to their true form, the dragon form. It is an ability that was lost during the first round of births after the mass shift. So Sally, who lives in Ireland, is a dragon, but she is always in human form. Because she is unable to shift, she is unable to bond. I'll go into more detail about that when I start to talking about the novels and the dragons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Tails from the Oddside 2: Point of View

Tales from the Oddside 5: Knife to the Heart